What is Matcha Tea?
A superhero amongst teas, matcha is a powdered green tea that comes from Japan and one of the most concentrated sources of antioxidants on the planet. Used as part of the Japanese tea ceremony for centuries, it has recently become globally popular due to it’s extended health benefits. Drinking matcha can be like drinking 10 cups of regular green tea for its nutrient value. When you drink regular green tea, you throw away the leaves but with matcha, you are consuming the whole nutrient-rich tea leaf.
Why Melez Matcha Tea?
We source a high-quality, artisanal-grade matcha from a family owned tea farm in the Nishio region of Japan with a history of over 125 years in producing matcha green tea. A historic tea cultivating region, Nishio is in the heart of the Aichi prefecture of Japan, one of the finest locations for tencha (pre-ground matcha) in all of Japan.
In Japan, Matcha is much more than a drink, it is a daily meditation ritual. A celebration of mindfulness, beauty and respect for the present moment.
Preparation Suggestions: Add 1-2 spoonfuls of matcha into a matcha bowl. Heat 1 cup fresh water to 80°C (176°F) and add to the bowl. Stir vigorously with a bamboo whisk by tracing a 'W' pattern until consistent and until a layer of foam or froth forms at the surface.
Explore the Melez Matcha Recipes
Traditional Matcha Preparation Tools
- Chawan: matcha bowl
- Chasen: bamboo matcha whisk
- Naoshi: matcha whisk holder
- Chashaku: bamboo matcha spoon
Explore the Melez Matcha Collection
Health Benefits of Matcha Tea
- One cup of matcha= 10 cups of regularly brewed green tea in terms of nutritional content
- Packed with antioxidants including EGCG (cancer fighting properties). It’s antioxidant levels are 6 times that of goji berries, 17 times that of wild blueberries and 60 times that of spinach.
- Boosts metabolism and helps burn calories
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Fortifies the immune system: because its rich in vitamin A & C, Iron, Potassium, Calcium
- Lowers Bad Cholesterol
- Contains High Levels of L-Theanine
Benefits of L-Theanine
Promotes a mindful state of relaxation
Increase our ability to multi-task
Increases speed of perception
Increases performance under stress
Improves learning ability and concentration
Shop the Melez Matcha Collection